Denver-based artist Lane 8, aka, Daniel Goldstein, just released his second album, Little By Little, this January on his own This Never Happened label. Ever since it’s release, the album has been on repeat at Stop Breathe Bump headquarters. It’s deep house at it’s absolute finest. Between the beautiful melodic instrumentals and standout vocals — the album is an instant classic that takes you on a mesmerizing aural journey. The new LP was accompanied by an extensive 35-date global headlining tour, with stops in North America, Australia, and Europe.
Lane 8 on Little By Little:
I think that writing and releasing my first album, Rise, so early in the Lane 8 project, was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. But at the time, I felt like albums were really on the out. A lot of people within the music industry said albums were a waste of time and effort – nobody listened to them anymore. Especially not from relatively new, relatively low profile artists! Most artists within dance music were releasing single after single every few months – and having a lot of success with that formula.
Maybe it’s because I grew up on albums, but I’ve always felt that a good album tells a story and creates an experience that is impossible to replicate with a run of single tracks alone – no matter how good they are.
When I listened to my favorite albums as a kid, one of the things I loved the most was entering the artist’s world – even if just for an hour, it felt like I was being taken on a unique journey that could really be savored, a journey only the artist could take me on. The experience of listening to a great album gave me a connection to my favorite artists that I never would have had just listened to their hits.
With that somewhat romantic (or just outdated!) feeling toward albums in mind, I ignored a lot of the advice out there and pushed forward – and Rise came out soon after. When I toured that album, I had the surreal experience of hearing fans tell me what the album meant to them, and how much of a connection they felt to the journey of Rise – that familiar feeling I remember from my own youth.
Over the past two years, I’ve waited for a certain feeling to return – the feeling that I was ready and excited to do it all over again. As it happened, at the end of 2016, we finished an incredible first This Never Happened tour shortly before welcoming our daughter into the world. As 2017 began, I found myself really driven to create album #2. Throughout this year, I found a lot of joy in focusing on each little task achieved, each small accomplishment that pushed me one step closer to the goal of making another album – another experience – that I was really proud of. In a way, I think that’s what this album is all about – taking the time to appreciate each small step in a larger journey.
I’m really happy to announce that the pieces have now come together to form my second album, Little By Little.
“No Captain”, a song I made with Poliça, is the first piece of music I’m sharing from Little By Little – and it’s available to stream and download now. Hope you enjoy it.
I will be touring Little By Little across North America, Europe, and Australia for the first half of next year. Tickets will go on sale this Friday at 9 am local time.
You can listen to “No Captain” and see tour dates here.
Lane 8 Little By Little Tour Dates:
- February 22nd – 9:30 Club, Washington, DC
- February 23rd – Union Transfer, Philadelphia, PA
- February 24th – Brooklyn Steel, Brooklyn, NY
- February 25th – The Sinclair, Cambridge, MA
- March 2nd – Corona Theatre, Montreal, QC
- March 3rd – Danforth Music Hall, Toronto, ON
- March 8th – Terminal West, Atlanta, GA
- March 9th – The Van Buren, Phoenix, AZ
- March 10th – The Novo, Los Angeles, CA
- March 14th – WOW Hall, Eugene, OR
- March 15th – VENUE, Vancouver, BC
- March 16th – Holocene, Portland, OR
- March 17th – The Showbox, Seattle, WA
- March 23rd – Ogden Theatre, Denver, CO
- March 24th – Warfield Theatre, San Francisco, CA
- March 25th – Ace of Spades, Sacramento, CA
- April 20th – Sugar, Adelaide, AUS
- April 21st – Max Watts, Sydney, AUS
- April 24th – Prince Bandroom, Melbourne, AUS
- April 25th – Capulet, Brisbane, AUS
- May 3rd – Phonox, London, UK
- May 4th – Versions, Manchester, UK
- May 5th – Concorde 2, Brighton, UK
- May 6th – Voodoo, Belfast, UK